Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Garbage disposal frozen

On 16 Jul, 09:51, "Jr." wrote:
"newman" wrote in message

news:GEKmi.4045$fj5.2694@trnddc08...

I wouldn't recommend getting a cheap garbage disposal. One call to a drain
plumber can pay for the extra $ on a good stainless steel disposer.

The Insinkerators mentioned are good units and very quiet-I believe
Insinkerator makes the Sears disposers and possibly others.

Because the unit I recently put in was so quiet, I put in a new electrical
switch with a small light to indicate the unit was on.

We have a Sears. It is a good model.Think I paid about $100 five years ago.
First time in years that it jammed. This was a replacement for the original
disposal about 5 years ago.

I watched that insinkerator film and all I could think of was

"man, I would never put bones or pineapple tops in my disposal"

-- I guess we are not getting the best use of ours. We rarely put
really solid
-- stuff in it like the video shows.
--
-- Are we goofy for not doing this?

We dump solids into the garbage, with maybe a light scrape. The dishes
then get a quick rinse - sometimes. The instructions for my dishwasher
say that there is no need to rinse soft food from the dishes, so we
don't waste a lot of time or water cleaning the dishes before putting
them in the dishwasher. We'll rinse them a little if they're going to
sit for a while, but if they're going to be washed soon, then they
don't get rinsed.

Fun With Garbage Disposers:

Break a glass in your sink. Rinse the pieces down then drain. Turn on
the disposer. It makes a really cool noise!