Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Window replacement dilemma -- please help

wrote:
When this house was redone some years ago, we took the old frames w/ the
sash cords out and replaced them w/ new track systems. The windows
themselves were either refurbished if in decent shape or the original
glass fitted into new frames (even the lower panes are old enough to
show the imperfections of glass from that time so to lose that would be
to change the "patina" of the house dramatically. We then added storm
windows of an appropriate style for the enhanced energy savings.

--

That's an interesting approach. How did you get it done? Is it
something most contractors can do?

Local glass shop did the frames, Dad and I did the windows. I had
brought my shaper back to do kitchen cabinets and left it after I showed
him a few "tricks" (not often one gets to do that, it's usually other
way 'round, isn't it? ). He had the whole house gutted so we were
able to set up a complete shop in the living room area and since there
are 10-ft ceilings and the old sitting parlor and formal living room
were connected and took an entire half of the house, was really a quite
luxurious shop space...

I would think a competent glass shop could, although if they're only
into modern Al or vinyl one might have to find a good cabinet/millwork
shop to get replacement sash made. One simplification in our case is
that the lower sash is 1-light instead of multiple and the leaded uppers
means no wood muntins in them, either. But, I've made lots of 4- and
6-light casement windows--there's really not much to it w/ a good shaper
or even a decent router in a table and a quality set of cutters.

Regarding keeping the character of the house goes, all of our trim and
moldings are very dark so we would need something similar in the
windows. We have some friends with a similar style that stuck in white
replacements, and they look terrible against the wood.

There's far more to "character" than simply the color, but that's a part.