Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Question: 2-way switch used with 3-way setup !?

In article . com, wrote:
On Jul 16, 8:14 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
Try this:
a) Turn the light on at the dimmer.
b) Now turn it off with the switch.
c) Try to turn it back on with the dimmer. If you've described the situation
correctly, you can't.

Doug,

That's exactly what I tought when I saw the setup. I am no
electreician but I have changed a few switch/dimmer before.

Could there be an unused wire I don't see. Is that possible ?

Yes, that's possible.

It's also possible that the whole setup was wired by someone who didn't
understand how 3-way switches work.

Exactly, the switch HAS to be ON for the light work. Is the 3rd wire
from my dimmer stopping at the light fixture ?

It's hard to say where it's going, without seeing it.

Again any info would help ...

In order to control one light independently from two different places, you
need a 3-way switch *and* three wires in each location. If you don't have
that, it isn't going to work properly. Google is your friend here; there are
many diagrams available on the web showing how to wire 3-ways.

--
Regards,