Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ancient_Hacker Ancient_Hacker is offline

Default Watkins-Johnson, more like WTF?

On Jul 16, 8:19 am, " wrote:

Wowsers! All that, and it was mechanical after all. I'll bet you feel
much better about investing in that unit right about now!

Well, no. While it's built like a B-58 and cost almost as much per
pound, it's a lousy radio.
Before MOSFETS, you might recall, transistor front-ends were really
really lousy.
Lots of intermod. Add varactor tuning and you have a receiver only
a Govt purchasing agency could love.

I can just picture the NSA guys in the Moscow embassy, trying to
listen to Krushchev's car phone but it's drowned out by TV's Channel
4's "Lunch with Lenin".

Perhaps I can find a satisfiable buyer if they appreciate top-notch
looking mechanicals and electricals, with that clandestine cachet, if
not performing up to appearances.