Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Watkins-Johnson, more like WTF?

On Jul 14, 8:20 am, Ancient_Hacker wrote:
Aha, success!

Turns out the little setscrews on the tuning capacitor shaft were very
loose. As were about six others. Just loose enough for a little
slippage, but tight enough to still rotate the shafts and act semi-
okay.

The poor image rejection? Two more very loose setscrews on the ten-
turn pot that tunes the front-end.

I should have noticed-- the 10-30MHz version of this tuner has brown
thread-sealer on all the setscrews and is spot on freq. For some
reason they didnt use any thread locker on this one.

Wowsers! All that, and it was mechanical after all. I'll bet you feel
much better about investing in that unit right about now!

Many thanks for the report, few actually do feed back. And a very good
lesson to all... check the obvious before delving into the obscure.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA