Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] tom.harrigan@gmail.com is offline

Default Limecrete patio slab?

On 16 Jul, 10:20, "TMC" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

Hi

I'm considering laying a limecrete patio slab. I'm considering it for
2 reasons:

1. I have neither a damp proof course nor damp proof membrane in my
house, and I'm concerned that a concrete slab next to it might cause
some damp.

2. Sometime in the future, I may be able to afford a little
conservatory on it, so I might as wall do the slab now while I'm
working on the patio anyway.

I'd rather not risk causing damp, but I'd also rather not risk the
slab not setting. I may end up putting a very small amount of cement
in the otherwise 6 ballast to 1 hydrated lime mix.

Any thoughts?

Never even looked at limecrete before so Googled out of interest

I was not even considering replying to your post

However Google turned this uphttp://www.oldhousestore.co.uk/tech_ohs/limecrete.html

which I thought may be of interest

Tony

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately they did not test the cheap stuff,
ie. bagged hydrated lime. I have experimented a bit with it in mortar
form, and it seems to go off eventually. I'm also not bothered how
hard the limecrete sets - so long as it doesn't break up.

I suppose an alternative would be to leave a reasonable gap between a
concrete slab and the house, and fill it with pea shingle or
something.