Posted to alt.home.repair
jackson jackson is offline

Default brand new home - have leak

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

Sorry, but IMHO, in a brand new house I'd want the sheetrock in the
ceiling replaced as well and not simply repainted.

if I were moving into brand new construction I'd want the ceiling
repaired/replaced to 'new' condition as THAT is what I paid for.

It does not matter what you want, it matters what the warranty says that
counts. If a patch is invisible,, that would be a satisfactory repair.
Since neither of us can see how bad the damage is, the contractor will
decide what is best.

I will agree that since we can not see the damage, if any, it is really hard
to make a recommendation. However, it does matter what the new buyer
(especially on new construction) wants when it comes to the house being
'delivered' with a defect. Contractors who feel otherwise (right or wrong)
do end up in court.

I am assuming we are talking about a leak between the upstairs bathroom
floor and the dining room ceiling based on the OP. While this could be a
simple plumbing mishap, and it does happen, and it probably (hopefully!)
isn't an indicator of future issues due to shoddy workmanship throughout the
house, there is a responsibility on the builder to deliver the structure
free from defect to the buyer's satisfaction.