Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default brand new home - have leak

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 22:27:09 -0400, "Jackson"
wrote:

No only should you have the plumbing fixed, you should insist that all
of the sheetrock in the dining room be replaced -- to the edge of the
area that got wet. It might be quite small or pretty large, but stick
you head up in the hole and make sure all wet sheetrock is removed.
Don't let the mold get started.- Hide quoted text -

There is no reason to replace all the sheet rock just to do so. You
dont need the extra mess, just fix what shows damage. A recently found
leak will likely have no future issues.

Sorry, but IMHO, in a brand new house I'd want the sheetrock in the ceiling
replaced as well and not simply repainted.

Read again what he said, and you'll see that you have not expressed
disagreement with it.

Maybe you want to discuss with the previous guy what he said, but I
don't know, because you don't say how much you would replace. Would
you replace "all of the sheetrock in the dining room", all of the
sheetrock in the dining room ceiling, every entire 4x8 sheet that has
the slightest damage anywhere on it, any sheetrock that has damage
including 4 or 6 inch borders to make sure of getting everything and
to make the cut lines straight and the corners rectangular, or some
other possibility?

If it was a 15-20 y/o house and
the plumbing struck a leak I might try to patch/repair, but if that had
already been done when the house was new perhaps that option would then be
off the table. I guess if you are going to move in a few years and don't
care about the next owner just allow them 'clean it up' with kilz & paint,
but if I were moving into brand new construction I'd want the ceiling
repaired/replaced to 'new' condition as THAT is what I paid for.

Just my 2cents.