Posted to alt.rv,misc.consumers.house,misc.taxes,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.survivalism
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Woman is content living in 84-sq. ft. tiny dream home.

Tim Smith wrote:
In article ,
Just A User wrote:
I saw it featured on a major media channel. While this is along the
idea of something I would like to put on my land in TX, I do think
84sq ft is a bit on the small side for 1 person. I have messed
around with floor plans for small cabins and came up with a 500sq ft
floor that seemed livable. Actually I started with about 1000sq ft
and worked my way down to about 500. Very simple rectangular design,
1 bed, 1 bath, kitchen, dining / living area. Tried to keep the
design /green/ I.E. solar power, supplemental water via rain water
harvesting, composting toilet, etc. etc. etc. I figured I could do
the whole thing for about $10k using recycled stuff.

I haven't found anything online about this, but on one of those shows
about cool technology on one of the Discovery Channel channels, or
maybe National Geographic, so something similar, they showed student
houses at a university in Europe. They were tiny detached houses,
each something like 110 sq ft. They made very good use of space, and
seemed quite comfortable.

There was a separate bathroom with a toilet and sink. The bathroom
was waterproof and had a drain in the floor, so it also served as the
shower (and that also made it easy to clean). The kitchen had, I
seem to recall, a two burner stove, small fridge, and microwave.

The beds folded into the wall. There were two of them, big enough
that four people could sleep in the house, although two people would
be more comfortable probably.

There was a built-in flatscreen TV for entertainment.

There was a table that could be used for dinning or as a work area,
and it folded away when not in use.

It seemed to work very well. There wasn't a lot of space total, but
because of the way things folded away to reconfigure the space, there
seemed to be plenty for whatever you needed at any given time.

The beds could be used for seating, too, and with it configured for
maximum seating, they showed a student having a party. He managed to
get something like 9 guests in there, with everyone being reasonably
comfortable.

Yeah, saw that, but an RV or trailer makes a lot more sense because its easier to move too.