Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default brand new home - have leak

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 06:55:25 -0700, photoflavor
wrote:

Greetings. As a new homeowner (moved in 6 days ago), I have already

I think new homes always have a couple problems.

What the others said, plus turn off the water to the toilet, or tub,
or sink, whatever is leaking. There is a toilet valve just behind
the toilet, sink valves just below the sink, and you may or may not
have an access panel for the tub. If you have to, turn off the water
to the whole bathroom, there's a valve for that in the basement or
crawl space or somewhere.

Normally none of these things leak unless you have used them. That
is, it's usually the drain. But if somehow it continues to leak when
your not using it, it's the supply pipe and to be sure you need to
turn that off in the basement.

You have a legal and moral duty to mitigate damages, to keep them as
small as possible. And it's in your interest too, because the more
they have to rip out, the worse it will be for you.

I don't think the floorboards are damaged. Don't they use
waterresistant plywood or that other stuff in bathrooms, and floor
joists are too big to be bothered by a little water for a short time.

Turn off the water and it will all start drying out now.