Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leonard Caillouet Leonard Caillouet is offline

Default Surge protectors?

What type of equipment are you protecting?

My experience is that the Panamax units are very good and very effective.
We use them on nearly every system we install, here in north central
Florida, which sees more lightning than most areas in the US. We rarely see
any system damage on properly installed units. This means that all incoming
signal lines in addition to power are connected through the surge
suppressor, all incoming lines are grounded according to code, and the
elsectrical service ground is intact and effective. We DO see system damage
when cable installers disconnect the cable line from the surge suppressor,
however, which leads me to believe that the signal lines are critical to
protection. The whole house suppression probably does not address this.

Leonard

"Jay1028" wrote in message
I have moved to a location (Florida) where surges are a concern. I
have been looking at two candidates for surge protection at the point
of use (outlet).
The two candiidates a

Power Sentry 100344 -- which says it will disconnect the load if
surge is sensed to be more than 2ms

Panamax M4T-EX which is MOV based from a highly rated company.

I have a whole house MOV based protector by LEA at the load center and
want to do more. Maybe more is better? I don't know.

Anyone used a system that they know works? There is so much info out
there that you don't which is an good.

I'm not sure if this is the correct group for this question either.

Thanks,
Jay