Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default How often should an interior fuel oil tank be cleaned out?

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
et...

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
I have never heard of a "tank cleaning service" -- it sounds like a
revenue generating idea created by the heating oil company.

Any tank that is 25 years old, cleaned or not, may be questioned by your
insurance company with a demand to replace it with a new tank. Insurance
companies don't want a huge payout for environmental cleanup if it should
leak.

Underground tanks have a life of 15 to 30 years. Above ground tanks
considerably more. You can do ultrasonic tests that reveal rusting of the
tank. I've never heard of one being replaced because the insurance
company requested it, but I guess it can happen. I know of may tanks that
are 50 years plus and still working.

Here in Canada, it is common for Home Insurance companies to require tanks
that are 25 years old or more to insist on them being replaced, because of
this they actually caused a shortage in tank supplies as the replacements
increased in number.