Posted to alt.home.repair
The Other Mike The Other Mike is offline

Default Staining hardwood floor

Never did anything like this. We have a hardwood floor in our foyer
and it's a lighter color wood. We want to stain it a darker color to
match our paint and stairway banisters. I don't know what kind of
wood it is...but it's a 3 year old house and the wood seems
soft...stepping on cat litter on the floor makes pits in the wood. My
plan is to rent a u-sand machine (www.u-sand.com) to sand the floor
down, then use some kind of stain to stain it and then polyurethane to
seal it. Anyone have any advice for doing this? Type/brand of stain
to use? Polyurethane? Number of coats of each? Or any gotcha's to
watch out for?