Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default brand new home - have leak

On Jul 15, 7:54 am, Pat wrote:
On Jul 15, 10:15 am, ransley wrote:

On Jul 15, 6:55 am, photoflavor wrote:

Greetings. As a new homeowner (moved in 6 days ago), I have already
found the need to find and join this list. As we were unpacking boxes
yesterday, I looked up to notice that the paint was bubbled up and
separating from the the ceiling in the dining room (wasn't like that
on the day we moved in). Since there is a bathroom directly above, I
assumed that there must be a leak. After finding a pin and puncturing
one of the bubbles, I discovered that my assumption was correct. It
appears as though there is a leak from a pipe under the floor near the
toilet since the grout seems to be wet. There is no evidence of water
ON the bathroom floor. Now... to the questions:

1. This house is brand new - we bought it during construction.
Shouldn't the builder be responsible for fixing this? Should he also
be responsible for repainting the ceiling in th dining room?

2. Once the leak is fixed, is there anything else that should be
repaired? Will the floorboards need to be replaced - since they got
wet? Will the tile/grout be damaged or prone to mildew? I guess what
I'm asking is... aside from the obvious things like the leak and the
paint, are there other issues to think about?

As a first time homeowner, I'm rather clueless about this stuff and
would immensely appreciate some advice. I'm just praying this isn't
the tip of the iceberg for this house.

Thanks!

call the builder he should fix the leak and repaint anything, also
call the building inspector he should go over everything for free. I
would not worry at this point, the inspector will be of most help to
you.

No only should you have the plumbing fixed, you should insist that all
of the sheetrock in the dining room be replaced -- to the edge of the
area that got wet. It might be quite small or pretty large, but stick
you head up in the hole and make sure all wet sheetrock is removed.
Don't let the mold get started.- Hide quoted text -

There is no reason to replace all the sheet rock just to do so. You
dont need the extra mess, just fix what shows damage. A recently found
leak will likely have no future issues.