Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Bob Urz Bob Urz is offline

Default LEDs as lamp replacements

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Bob Urz" wrote in message

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Bob Urz" wrote in message

Bob Urz wrote:

Arfa Daily wrote:

Here's a really interesting site

http://www.oksolar.com/led/led_color_chart.htm

Follow the various page links to the chromaticity chart, and " More
information on LEDs" at the bottom. I didn't realise that they were
already in use in street lighting. There is mention of higher colour
temperatures improving human night vision. There is also an interesting
LED colour chart, which shows one at 4500K called "incandescent". A
couple of years back, I was in Disney when they put on a show in front
of the Magic Castle. There was a stage spot set up on the top of a
pole, projecting a brilliant white beam of considerable strength. I
didn't take much notice of it, until it suddenly changed colour. During
the show, it produced a whole range of colours, but I couldn't see that
the enclosure was anything like big enough to accommodate a coloured
gel wheel. I remember wondering at the time, if this had been
implemented using very high power RGB LEDs. I suppose that it is also
possible that it could have been a plasma lamp with dichroic mirrors
and LCD panels. Are any LEDs actually powerful enough to make stage
lighting from ? Can they be mounted in any way that allows light
collection and direction through beam forming optics ?

Arfa

LED's are being used for stage lighting, but not in the high power
movers or Ellipsoid's (YET). WHat you probably saw was a martin MAC2000
or such at disney. They have full color mixing onboard VIA DMX

It didn't look quite like that and didn't have remote move capabilities,
but was remotely controlled in as much as the colour changing and
intensity, so I guess it was on a DMX bus. It was on the top of a pole,
so clearly made to work in outdoor conditions, and small and squat, which
was made me think that it used technology that I hadn't seen in that
application before. I also seem to recall that I was particularly struck
by the range and intensity of the colours it produced. Guess I'll never
know for sure. The links contained some interesting stuff on high power
LED lighting. Seems to me that the LEDs themselves have pretty much
evolved to the point of usefulness, and that it now needs more
developments in the optical part of the equation, and colour temperature
rendition. BTW, did you get the partial schematic for the 'HT70 that I
sent you, as requested in your post of a few days ago ?

Arfa

No, i did not get it. could you resend it?
Email has been funky lateley......

Bob

OK, it's resent to the same address that you used to post this, but from a
different one of my addresses. Attachment is a 434k PDF, which shouldn't be
a problem. Let me know that you get it ok. If any issues, just contact me
direct on the arfa daily address that I use to post here.

Arfa

Got this one. thanks.

Bob