Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default Solder Station Recommendations?

On Jul 12, 7:31 am, notbob wrote:
On 2007-07-12, Robin wrote:

You can leave a Weller switched on all week, put it in a bucket

of
water, light fags with it and mend plastic housings. If the

magnet-
switch sticks, hit it on the bench.

But! ...be careful of those cords/connectors. One place I worked

had
2 lockers full of dead Wellers. Closer inspection revealed almost
everyone one of them had cord/connector failures where the iron
plugged into the power unit.

nb

My first Weller WTCPN had the connector break like many others. Some
folks at ABC changed it to an XLR. On my own, I took a piece of a
paper clip (largest size that would fit inside the pin) and soldered
it in there around 1982. Still works fine. Had a heater failure but no
time to fix it that week and bought a WTCPT also. But I like the
Metcal I have at home and at work.

GG