Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Opinions on adding fuses to power amp

"Ron(UK)" wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
"Ron(UK)" wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
"Ron(UK)" wrote:

You're never going to be able to protect against stray metal object clattering
around inside,
Quite !

and I`m sure the original designers never gave it a thought.
In which case it shouldn't have a CE sticker.

I would imagine that the stray object originated inside the amp,
probably a panel screw or captive nut never secured in the first place.

I thought the OP said something did actually fall inside ?

Maybe

How often you you pick up an item of gear and hear something loose
rolling around inside

Thankfully not too often. I do recall one time about 30 yrs ago when I withdrew a
Bulgin mains lead and the earth prong of the equipment connector came out with it
though ! They were just held in place with screws !

They were held in by the same screw that held the cable iirc

There was another one - oh actually I think that terminal section did actually have a
male thread on it.

I once found the entire tip and centre core of a jackplug neatly welded
twixt power transistor and heatsink. Presumably some clown snapped off
the plug, so pushed it right through with another

LOL !

The one thing most designers fail to allow for is the stupidity of the
end user.

'Tis often true.

Graham