Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Central AC Advice

jay wrote:
The Carrier heat pump / air conditioning unit (model 38YMA036300)
installed on a 2700 sq ft house 15 years ago has stopped cooling. On
the unit outside, the fan is blowing and the compressor is working,
but the air after the radiator is not warm/hot. The copper pipe coming
out of the compressor is hot and remains hot going into two parts of
radiator, but none of the other copper U elbows feel hot or even warm.
It seems the radiator is clogged. Is there a simply way to further
verify that this is the problem?

Should I have the outside unit repaired or replace the entire system?
Which brand provides a good value and above average reliability? Thx

When was the last time you had a professional maintenance check on that
system?

If you haven't bothered to have that done, then have you checked and
cleaned the air filter and or the coil fins?

I'm assuming that thing you're calling a "radiator" is the evaporator in
the air handler. They don't "clog", but the metering device in the high
side line feeding them can and does.

I'm going to make a WAG that you're in over your head already. Ask
around and learn who your friends and neighbors trust and call in a pro.

15 years is a reasonable lifetime for a home HVAC system so it's
probably time to think about replacing both ends of the system. The
improved efficiency of today's equipment will reduce your electric bill
a noticable amount. I've had good luck with Trane equipment.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia