Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default wheel mounting on play structure mounting questions?

bobmct wrote:
Hello everyone;

THis is not your normal repair question but it seems to fit in this group
most appropriately!

I am building a play structure for my grandchildren that is 8' x 6' with a
4' tapered extention constructed of a 1x2 frame with 1/2" plywood flooring
and 1/2" plywood siding with 1x2 side frames (its a short term pirate ship
playhouse). So far its coming along just fine. However, not wanting to
leave it sitting in the same location between their visits I want to mount
8" lawn mower wheels on the bottom. I purchased 6 of them and 3" lag bolts
but I can't come up with a good mounting scheme (I am certainly not an
engineer).

Therefore I was hoping someone could suggest some effective mounting ideas
that would allow me to roll this structure with some maneuverability to
move it next to my shed or to another part of the yard when the tikes go
home.

Must be pretty heavy...

Lags ain't it...

Somebody else mentioned the obvious of industrial casters underneath,
instead of the lawnmower-style wheels, but you might not like the added
height, I don't know. If that isn't a problem, might consider taking
these wheels back and trading them in on the casters with four of the
six swiveling type to go on the ends for maneuverability.

To mount these wheels two basic choices -- use long rod underneath as an
axle or variations on a theme, or make a mounting block in the corners
solid enough to support a bolt through. Shoulder bolts are made for the
purpose to allow for a nut to tighten against and still not stop the
wheel from rotating. More difficult to design in a swivel to give you
the maneuvering, though...

Another approach--Do you have a riding lawnmower/tractor w/ a provision
to pull a light trailer/spreader/etc.? If so, you could build a hitch
into the structure, mount two of your wheels in the more or less middle,
and a couple smaller bumper/outrigger casters on the rear and move it
that way, perhaps...