Posted to sci.electronics.repair
davidlaska davidlaska is offline

Default Surge protectors?

On Jul 13, 3:35 pm, sparky wrote:
On Jul 13, 5:52 pm, Jay1028 wrote:

I have moved to a location (Florida) where surges are a concern. I
have been looking at two candidates for surge protection at the point
of use (outlet).
The two candiidates a

Power Sentry 100344 -- which says it will disconnect the load if
surge is sensed to be more than 2ms

Panamax M4T-EX which is MOV based from a highly rated company.

I have a whole house MOV based protector by LEA at the load center and
want to do more. Maybe more is better? I don't know.

Anyone used a system that they know works? There is so much info out
there that you don't which is an good.

I'm not sure if this is the correct group for this question either.

Thanks,
Jay

Panamax and Leviton devices are good surge protectors. Do not believe
everything you read about some device shutting off the surge in 2ms.
If you are talking about a lightning strike close by then NO surge
suppressor will completely elimate the problem 100% of the time.

I agree with 100%. I live near the coast in southern California. We
get an overhead thunderstorm one a year. I had a UPS (15 years ago)
while working on my computer near a window. A lightning struck a pole
a few hundred yards away and the computer when down.
I restarted and my hard drive was not readable. I had to use norton
utilities (Mac) to recover all my from the drive and reformat it. The
drive failed a while later.

Now for the things I only heard about:
I have heard that your basic plug in "surge protectors" are not worth
the extra money. I think having a grounded system is the first matter
to be dealt with if the build has none (three pronged plugs).