Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Opinions on adding fuses to power amp

Ecnerwal wrote:

In article ,
"N Cook" wrote:

Anyone know the term for laying double traces of solder along copper traces
to increase current carrying , so I can research it ?

No, but it's a dumb idea. It's fairly easy to dump solder "accurately"
on a trace (if not covered by soldermask, hopefully that's obvious) -
just heat and feed solder, it will follow the trace, and you can build
it up quite a ways simply from surface tension. If you need more current
capacity on the trace, bend up a chunk of copper wire that actually
conducts well and solder that on. Solder is a lousy conductor, compared
to copper. The copper will hold more solder on there, but most of the
current will be carried by the copper.

I've seen something similar done intentionally and neatly inside a couple of
amplifiers.

The power trace has a number of tinned copper wire 'links' in parallel with it on
the 'top' of the pcb. Quite clever since it can be done with auto-insert
machinery.

Personally I prefer to use equipment cable to deliver power to where it's needed
rather than string it out along pcb traces.

Graham