Posted to rec.woodworking
DanG DanG is offline

Default Cutting 8x8 PT Railroad Ties

Boy, you guys sure have different experiences with railroad ties
than I do. They eat tools for breakfast and destroy men and
muscle by lunch. These things are full of rocks, sand, grit, and
creosote - none of which lend themselves to anything I want my
tools working on.

The best suggestion to date: Cheap blades in a circular saw,
finished off with a hand bowsaw. Don't plan on many cuts per
blade.
A carbide chainsaw blade at about $70 will give the most cuts, but
is only effective if you are paying for labor. You will destroy a
regular chain in a very few cuts.
A have tried a gasoline cut off saw with a fiber blade which can
take the abuse. Smokes a lot, but actually isn't bad. I've not
ever found what I would call a good solution.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I have six pieces of pressure treated 8"x8" railroad ties (8'
long) that I need to cut into short, 8"-10" long sections. What
is the best way to go about it? I can't use my compound miter
saw with such a large cross section, and I am not sure I can get
a clean cut with a circular saw (not with my skill level). Any
suggestions?

Thanks,

MC