Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin John Grossbohlin is offline

Default Cutting 8x8 PT Railroad Ties

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I have six pieces of pressure treated 8"x8" railroad ties (8' long) that I
need to cut into short, 8"-10" long sections. What is the best way to go
about it? I can't use my compound miter saw with such a large cross
section, and I am not sure I can get a clean cut with a circular saw (not
with my skill level). Any suggestions?

Are these real rail road ties? That is, the type preserved with creosote? If
so be aware that they often have steel embedded in the ends to stop
splitting which presents a hazard when sawing. Also be aware the creosote is
nasty stuff so wear a dust mask and gloves.

On the other hand, if they are just PT (green wood) there is no steel
embedded in the ends but the mask and gloves are still warranted.

How clean a cut do you need for landscaping? I'd be inclined to use a speed
square and circular saw coming in from all four sides and finish it off with
a hand saw. Worst case you can clean the cut up with a sharp chisel.

John