Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Black and Decker Battery

"Ian French" wrote in message

It depends, the biggest problem is getting the battery box apart.
On some drills this is fixed together with screws so it's easy. On others
the box is glued, sometimes the joints can be prised apart without too
much damage to the plastic, and sometimes they have been glued too well
and getting them apart is difficult.

Curiously enough, this is screwed, and easy to get apart.

I have found that many drills used Sub-C cells in series, and these are
available with solder tags. This is usefull if you don't have a spot
welder for batteries.

Nope, don't have a spot welder, or any kind of welder! I'll have a look at
Vapextech. I'll also see if I can find another drill that takes the same
batteries, as it may be cheaper to buy that than a new set of batteries.
Crazy world we live in.

Although many packs are made with NiCad cells I have successfully replaced
these with NiMh cells, although I believe that this is frowned upon by
"those who know". A source of Sub-C cells with tags is VAPEXTECH, on ebay
or on his website. (I have no connection with this company other than
getting very good service)
My guess is that for 9.6V you will need 8 cells at about £2 each, so it
will cost you about £16 to build a new battery pack. You will have to
check the exact price.
Good luck!
Ian.