Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe Andy Cuffe is offline

Default Solder Station Recommendations?

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 07:58:42 -0700, Robin

On 2007-07-12, Robin wrote:

You can leave a Weller switched on all week, put it in a bucket of
water, light fags with it and mend plastic housings. If the magnet-
switch sticks, hit it on the bench.

But! ...be careful of those cords/connectors. One place I worked had
2 lockers full of dead Wellers. Closer inspection revealed almost
everyone one of them had cord/connector failures where the iron
plugged into the power unit.

nb

You are right. The cord often wears out first.

But a Weller can even perform it's own abdominal surgery thanks to
transformer isolation.

Robin

I wish I could find a source for that nice flexible silicone rubber
insulated wire Weller uses on its soldering irons.
Andy Cuffe