Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Solenoid Valve for Water Main

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 14:38:51 -0000, NJ wrote:

Hello,

I recently installed an alarm system in my home and as part of the
alarm system want to install a solenoid valve right after my water
meter. This would allow me to have the alarm turn off the water when
we leave the house (and forestall a diasater should a pipe break).

What would cause a pipe to break?

Freezing?

In that case, if you also have alarm monitoring, have you considered
installing a thermometer that will cause your burglar alarm to notifiy
your monitoring company when it gets cold inside?

That way, you might catch it when it is approaching freezing, but
before it freezes or breaks.

What kind of heat do you have? With some kinds, there are ways for
the burglar alarm to know if the heat has failed, so you can notify
the monitoring company even before it gets cold in the house, the
first time the heating fails, especially if it requires manual reset,
which will not be possible if no one is home.