Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison Robert Allison is offline

Default Question on interior wall construction material

dadiOH wrote:
Robert Allison wrote:

** Frank ** wrote:

I just replaced a damaged wall section with standard sheet rock.
The existing wall board was 1/2" thick, brown in color, fibrous
and very light weight with a cloth cover/reinforcement on the
finish side. Its weight and density is like the standard
commercial 2'x4' fluorescent fixture light grid tiles. The rest of
the house is old plaster and lath and this brown wall board was a
latter addition. Don't think its a very good product to begin with
and never seen anything like this brown wall board before. Can
anyone provide more information?

Sounds like homosote, although the cloth finish is not a part
of a homosote panel.

They make panels with applied burlap in various colors. Cork too.

I think that is what I said in the next sentence (which you cut).

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.