Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Solenoid Valve for Water Main

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
NJ wrote:

...want to install a solenoid valve right after my water
meter. This would allow me to have the alarm turn off the water when
we leave the house (and forestall a diasater should a pipe break).

I'm wondering what with the spec "Min. Flow Rate 11.2 GPM" in the
Grainger listing....

My curious mind wants to know what that spec means. Can someone in the
know elucidate on the subject?

Well, I figured I could, but...

They're ASCO valves, so went to ASCO site w/ the part number and looked
-- no flow rates at all given in the spec sheet. There's a reference to
an "Engineering Section", but no links and after almost 30 minutes
poking around trying to find it somehow, gave it up...

So, no real answer.

There is a required minimum operating pressure differential (to overcome
the inertia/drag of the solenoid when open to close it), so I suppose
it's possible there's the requirement to generate that.

That is, of course, conjecture.

Overall, methinks OP is over-engineering a solution to a non-problem,
creating others in its place...

I'm interested in his proposed control input(s)/logic.

BTW, it appears a reasonable choice for ASCO of valve family using their
selection engine. Their only NSF-rated potable solenoid valves are
limited to 1/4-3/8" so that's not possible from them even if OP wanted
to pay the (undoubtedly sizable) premium for it.