Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Solenoid Valve for Water Main

NJ wrote:

Hello,

I recently installed an alarm system in my home and as part of the
alarm system want to install a solenoid valve right after my water
meter. This would allow me to have the alarm turn off the water when
we leave the house (and forestall a diasater should a pipe break).

I have looked up solenoid valves on Grainger and believe the one shown
below will work for me:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3UK70

My only concern is that there is no technical data if this valve is
rated for potable water. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

I'm wondering what with the spec "Min. Flow Rate 11.2 GPM" in the
Grainger listing....

My curious mind wants to know what that spec means. Can someone in the
know elucidate on the subject?

Probably worth finding out before you go to the work of buying and
installing it, just to make sure that the valve will remain open when no
one is using water in the house, or if it close, that it will open from
closed when someone turns on a 3 gpm faucet.

And, if you do find it works as exspected it'd be wise to test it on a
regular basis just to make sure nothing has cruded up and keeps it from
closing when needed after a few months of inactivity.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)