Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Solenoid Valve for Water Main

Rick Blaine wrote:
NJ wrote:

I recently installed an alarm system in my home and as part of the
alarm system want to install a solenoid valve right after my water
meter. This would allow me to have the alarm turn off the water when
we leave the house (and forestall a diasater should a pipe break).

What's the input to know there's a pipe broken?

Interesting idea... You'll have to hook it up through a relay of sorts as your
alarm system won't be able to supply the current required directly. That's a
Normally Closed valve, so loss of power will also cut off your water supply.
That's probably a good thing as well. ...

Not if he has a fire suppression system.

Would also be kinda' inconvenient in case of loss of power (winter ice
storm, say), although if has permanent backup power I guess it's doable.

It's not clearcut to me from information provided which would be better
choice...

If the worry is for vacation, etc., I'd be far more inclined to simply
put a quarter-turn isolation valve in a convenient place and be done w/
it. Particularly as it isn't at all clear how he would determine when a
break requiring isolation has occurred.