Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick Blaine Rick Blaine is offline

Default Solenoid Valve for Water Main

NJ wrote:

I recently installed an alarm system in my home and as part of the
alarm system want to install a solenoid valve right after my water
meter. This would allow me to have the alarm turn off the water when
we leave the house (and forestall a diasater should a pipe break).

I have looked up solenoid valves on Grainger and believe the one shown
below will work for me:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3UK70

My only concern is that there is no technical data if this valve is
rated for potable water. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Interesting idea... You'll have to hook it up through a relay of sorts as your
alarm system won't be able to supply the current required directly. That's a
Normally Closed valve, so loss of power will also cut off your water supply.
That's probably a good thing as well. Please post a followup as to how it works
out for you.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars