Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Roof angles

"DanG" wrote in message
news
I would use a 4 foot level and divide the resultant total rise by 4. This
method gives an average rather than concentrating on very small section.
Cut a few scrap blocks at 3:12, 3.5:12, 4:12 and test fit.

You describe a typical cut roof with collar ties. Very normal, very
strong, and still built every day. Trusses are just an alternate system.
There are times when one is more appropriate than the other. They each
have their strengths and weaknesses.

The rafters have nothing to do with the ceiling structure as far as
hanging a punching bag. The ceiling joists form the bottom structural
chord of the rafter triangle and function in tension to keep the outside
bearing walls from spreading. If you are having some kind of problem
hanging the punching bag, then ask about that, not about the roof rafters.
The roof rafters should not be involved in a ceiling hung load.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Actually I have been asking about the punching bag, receieved a lot of
helpful suggestions too. Still working on the implementation inbetween the
rest of my life.

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
news
Are roof angles necessarily standard? I ask because I'm going to be
working on the rafters and need to cut an angle piece to fit in beside
the 2x8 holding up the roof.

I measured it out and came out with 9 inches over, 2.5 inches up which
should equal ~15.5 degrees for the roof angle. I'm not interested in
perfection, it just has to fit reasonably, but if I can get it exact it
sure would be nice. However 15.5 deg doesn't match a 3 in 12 or 4 in 12
pitch more like 3.5 in 12. That's why I'm asking if roof angles are
standard, or at least WERE standard in the 1960's.

Just for clarification, my attic is ridgepole construction, 2x8 supports
for the roof, every other truss has a 1/2 x 10 board connecting the 2x8
supports. Weird construction, doesn't look sturdy at all in my eyes.