Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Fan motor runs backwards

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:38:13 GMT, "Mike Dobony"
wrote:

"Telstra" wrote in message

"Bobo" wrote in message
What's up with a third horse whole house fan motor that has begun to
occasionally run backwards. This started happening about the same time
the switch went bad. I put in an identical switch and didn't mess with
the motor wiring. It's AC, 120.
Thanks

The Fan motor capacitor has two terminals each terminal connected
to a motor winding and one also connected to the Active. Switching
the Active to the other terminal will reverse the rotation of the motor

But how can this happen occasionally?

I remember finding an old rotating Christmas-tree stand that would
start in either direction (randomly). This seems to be the natural
condition of some motors.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com