Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Roof angles

On Jul 13, 10:41 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jul 13, 9:14 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
Are roof angles necessarily standard? I ask because I'm going to be
working
on the rafters and need to cut an angle piece to fit in beside the 2x8
holding up the roof.

There's no standard. Consider them the MSRP of construction.

I measured it out and came out with 9 inches over, 2.5 inches up which
should equal ~15.5 degrees for the roof angle. I'm not interested in
perfection, it just has to fit reasonably, but if I can get it exact it
sure
would be nice. However 15.5 deg doesn't match a 3 in 12 or 4 in 12 pitch
more like 3.5 in 12. That's why I'm asking if roof angles are standard,
or
at least WERE standard in the 1960's.

Construction drawings usually show a pitch, such as 7/12 (read 7 in 12
- rise to run, or 7 pitch), and the drawings are _usually_ followed
with some degree of accuracy. The pitch can be changed for a number
of reasons, such as the framer realizing that a slightly lower pitch
means he can buy 2' shorter rafters - that can add up to a fair
savings and the architect should have picked up on that.

I think you should lose the torpedo level and buy an electronic level
(yes, I am superb at spending other people's money) or put the torpedo
on a framing square and measure the rise

Just for clarification, my attic is ridgepole construction, 2x8 supports
for
the roof, every other truss has a 1/2 x 10 board connecting the 2x8
supports. Weird construction, doesn't look sturdy at all in my eyes.

Those 2x8s are your rafters. If the 1/2(?) x 10s are about a third of
the way down from the ridge they're collar ties. That's fairly
standard construction, though the 1/2" is odd and the 10" is too.
Collar ties are not infrequently made out of whatever is left over,
but those are some odd leftovers.

Well that's two suggestions for a new level - guess I didn't need to save
money this month after all.

Those collar ties, are probably left over tongue and groove, some of them
have an obvious tongue on them although they aren't plywood. Probably are
1x10's, in the same way 2x4's are about 1 3/4 x 3 1/2 or so. Just look
skinnier to me given the width.

Didn't realize they weren't structural or at least not in the same way the
rafters are. Makes me worry about walking around up there on the roof and
in the attic. I now understand why that punching bag I've been trying to
stabilize is so problematic - my attic simply isn't intended to support a
load.

I've never actually seen a ridgepole roofline before, I always figured those
went out of favor a long time ago - but I guess the roof truss is only 60
years old or so.- Hide quoted text -

The "bevel gauge" that I suggested is not a level. Will only cost a
few bucks. You don't need any kind of level to find rise/run. A
simple tape measure does the job. Of course a lazer level or even a
quality bubble level 4 ft long is nice to have, I would even say
mandatory for a DIY kit.

Those "collar ties" are most assuredly structural. Pull them and
watch the walls of your house begin to spread out with eventual total
collapse of the roof.

Harry K