Posted to sci.electronics.repair
w_tom w_tom is offline

Default Surge protectors?

On Jul 13, 9:08 pm, Jay1028 wrote:
I next have to find a surge supressor for the cable coming into the
house. I opened the box mounted on the outside wall near the power
entry and there is just a grouning block in there. Nothing good to
say about the cable installation.

Again you are assuming a protector will somehow stop surges. If the
cable has the best surge protection, then it has only a ground block
($2 in Lowes), a short wire connection to earth ground (see other post
for the many factors absolutely required for that connection), and a
single point earth ground as Michael Terrell discusses.

Remember, no protector is protection. A protector is nothing more
than a connecting device to protection. Protection is earthing. What
defines quality of protection? Single point earthing. What is the
only component that each protection 'system' requires? Single point
earth ground. See details cited in that other post; a significant
amount of reading.

Those who have little concept of surge protection, instead, believe
magic protector boxes will somehow stop what three miles of sky could
not. Cable needs no protector. Protectors may even degrade TV and
internet signals. Your protection is only as good as your single
point earth ground. Repeated many times because so many have problems
admitting a retail store salesman or half truths on boxes were lies.