Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Should I use the 110v or 120v selection for my laserdisc

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 22:05:46 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

mm wrote:

I always called it 120v because as you mentioned if you put a volt
meter in an outlet you get about 118v or 119v but my grandfather from
"the olden days" always referred to it as 110v as many people did back
then so it seems.

I call it 110. I don't think it's ever changed, though.

Someone gave a more detailed history here once.

I think it actually was 110 way back in the day, then 115, then finally

Glad you posted.

nominally 120. ISTR a discussion among vintage radio guys of this
causing minor problems with really old equipment.

Maybe that's what burned out the filter cap on my 1930 Hallicrafters
shortwave receiver.

(Just kidding, it lasted until 1995.)

nate