Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Fan motor runs backwards

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 20:24:43 -0500, "Mike Dobony"
wrote:

"Bobo" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:38:13 GMT, "Mike Dobony"
wrote:

"Telstra" wrote in message

"Bobo" wrote in message
What's up with a third horse whole house fan motor that has begun to
occasionally run backwards. This started happening about the same time
the switch went bad. I put in an identical switch and didn't mess with
the motor wiring. It's AC, 120.
Thanks

The Fan motor capacitor has two terminals each terminal connected
to a motor winding and one also connected to the Active. Switching
the Active to the other terminal will reverse the rotation of the motor

But how can this happen occasionally?

Googling I've found one reference to a motor running backwards
sometimes as the capacitor failed, I haven't found even one more
mention of this though,

That is a possibility, but the explanation given the circumstances does not
fit. Switching the active to the other terminal will reverse rotation
permanently, not occasionally.

But he's stopped talking about switching the actived to the other
terminal.

His words just above yours are "as a capacitor failed".

That might be intermittent.