Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Corrosion in hand-held (battery ages)

I can't remember for sure, but I think that I remember carbon
cells in the sixties. The alkalines came out in the seventies.

Radio Shack used to have gold and white cells, which were carbon
zinc. They changed to red and green. Red were carbons, and greens
were zinc chloride chemistry. And, the alkalines were gold.

I'm not good enough on history to remember how back carbon
batteries went. Wiki has an interesting article. I used to pull
carbon cells apart with pliers, and get the carbon rod out for
writing on the sidewalk. After the first one (the managanese
dioxide gets all over everything) Mom forbid further dissembly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc-carbon_battery

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"mm" wrote in message
: Acid??????????????
: I think such batteries (typical AAA etc.) contain 'alkaline'
materials
: not acid? Unless they are newer, rechargeable Ni-cad or
lithium-ion.
: After all the original LeClanche 'wet batteries' used Sal
Ammoniac
: (and btw were repairable/replenishable/reusable, unlike
today's throw
: aways). Also many 'batteries' one purchases are deemed
'Alkaline
: cells'!
: But sounds like good clean up advice.
:
: Don't forget carbon-zinc batteries, in AA, AAA, C, and D sizes
and in
: 9-volt rectangular. They contain acid, and have been sold for
at
: least 60 years**. Most devices will run fine on "flashlight"
: batteries, although the batteries don't last as long, and I
guess cost
: more per amp.
:
: **Except I think the 9-volt ones. Anyone know how long the
current
: AA, AAA, C, and D sizes have been sold?