Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default riding mower on hill - how easy to flip?

Keith Stelter wrote:
"mfreak" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have my eye on a 40" 12hp Murray riding mower, it's maybe 10 years
old or so, regular front-engine standard tractor mower. My house is
built on a hill, and I'm wondering if the slope is too great. Due to
the shape of my yard, I can't really go up and down the hill, I have
to go across the hill. I'd guess the hill is a bout 20 degrees, and
I'm nervous that the mower with me sitting on it will be too top-heavy
and flip. Or is the center of gravity pretty low in these things?

Thanks,

THere are several problems with mowing hillsides with riding mowers. The
first is the obvious risk of tipping over. No one can really tell you if
your exact situation would be safe or not without seeing it and seeing the

clipped

This thread got me wondering, although I don't mow or have a mower. So,
I did a quick google search. One link, to Briggs-Stratton, says mow
across incline with walk-behind, up/down on a rider. It would be
interesting to see if other major mfgs. advise otherwise. Seems
possible for different sizes to have different issues, but I certainly
am sure of the walk-behinds to be used across inclines. Helped sew up
lots of feet when I worked in surgery. Some folks still let the kids
ride, and, somehow, a fair number of people used to stick their hands
into the way of the blade. Don't know why.......

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/dis...p?docid=102704