Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Ooohhh....shiny. Is the Festool Domino right for me?

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 18:07:37 GMT, "John E." wrote:

Inaccurate analogy.

Whatever...
What I was trying to say is that IMO, when a new tool comes out, especially if
it's only distributed by a high end company, it's going to be expensive..

However, since success breeds ruinous competition, there will be other machines
like it on the market as soon as the demand is there... very much like the early
biscuit jointers and plunge routers..

The tools used to make digital watches haven't dropped in price appreciably,
only the end products, the digital watches have.

Umm... I think that was MY point...
I don't care if it costs them $9 or $999 to make, I'm a consumer, not an
engineer..
I also don't care how much it costs to make a plasma TV... but I'm glad I didn't
buy on of the first couple.. *g*

The Domino won't necessarily drop in price, but the cost of making things
with a Domino could, at least in theory. More likely, prices will remain
level or rise and the those using the Domino or it's off-brand equivalent
will make a little bit more money by saving a little bit of time.

When was the last time you paid less for something cause it was produced by
a less expensive tool?

That was the theory expounded by those who claimed that the age of the
computer would make the 40 work week a thing of the past, that paperless
offices would be the norm, they were right in one regard, people are now
expected to do more in less time since they've been given those amazing
labor saving devices...they're still working 40 plus hour weeks, they're
just making less money doing so.

John E.

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 07:42:30 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"charlieb" wrote in message

I believe the DOMINO will change how many make furniture
sized pieces because of its speed, accuracy and ease of
use.

I do believe you're right. After spending a couple of years looking for

an
efficient method to do production joinery in a small shop, I can't help

but
view the DOMINO as a revolutionary advance in "mortising tools" for small
shops.

AAMOF, the concept has the potential to do for small shop joinery what

the
Japanese digital watch did to the watch making industry.

And hopefully, the pricing will become more reasonable with demand, as the
digital watch did...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing