Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Fuxit Mr Fuxit is offline

Default Paint stripping

On 13 Jul, 14:58, wrote:
Hello,

I had read about stripping gloss paint by heating, sanding, or
chemical strippers but how do you strip emulsions or don't you?

Our bathroom ceiling has some peeling paint. I have scraped this back
to the plaster. I thought I would have to strip all the paint - good
and bad - off so that the whole ceiling is back to the plaster, so
that the new coat will be flat but I have had limited success sanding
and heating so far.

No web sites seem to mention stripping emulsions. Is it not necessary?
Will a few coats hide any patches where I scraped the peeling paint
off?

Thanks.

Cover the emulsion with a coat of thick wallpaper paste, let it stand
for 1/2 an hour, then try scraping.