Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry W Larry W is offline

Default Zero Clearance Table Insert

In article ,
silver_18038 wrote:

I have an older Craftsman table saw and I want to make some zero
clearance table inserts out of some 1/4" MDF. The problem I have is
that the top of the 10" blade is almost even with the top of the table.
How does one get to install the insert without killing himself?

--
silver_18038

Here's what I do: Put the stock insert in the saw; Lift up one end so it
is slightly raised above the table. Bring the fence over til it just touches
the raised insert. Lock the fence in this position. Raise the operator
end of the stock insert slightly above the table, and clamp a block of
wood to the fence that is just touching the front of the insert.
Drop the insert into place. Put the new ZCI on top of the stock insert,
with it's front end touching the block of wood. Clamp a second block
to the fence on top of the ZCI. Hold the ZCI in place with a push block,
start the saw, raise the blade, & cut the slot.