Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Watkins-Johnson, more like WTF?

On Jul 13, 7:32 am, Ancient_Hacker wrote:
Trying out this WJ tuner, it's supposed to tune 0.9 to 10 MHz and
convert it to their standard IF of 21.4 MHz. Works wonderfully.
Sensitive anyway. But the frequency readings are way off-- about 8
percent low on the low end, 12 percent low on the high end. So when
the filmstrip dial says "10.0" you're actually listening to 8.8 or
so.

Normally I'd go tweak what every other SW radio has- a coil slug or
big series padder for the low end, a small drifty mica compression
trimmer for the high end.

Any hints appreciated.

Couple of questions:

Does it let you tune all the way to/from 0.9 to 10.0 (off the dial of
course)?
Or, is the entire band shifted downwards?
Or, chopped off at each end?
Does it look all OEM?

I have seen (once) a substitute tuning capacitor installed almost
perfectly in a radio that then displayed similar problems.

If the radio has been "moused" at some time past, a couple of coil
windings could be shorted.

WJ is still very much in business... you might ask them.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA