Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default Home builder repair hell

Explain to me how posting examples of someone's poor workmanship is abuse?

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Jul 12, 6:25 pm, "Toller" wrote:
and give me their "professional opinion" on the drywall... the
hardwood floors... the doorjams/stain I would be deeply grateful (and
would also travel to a website and try and help you if i can). Huge
mistakes have been made (you can only see the "cosmetic" ones from the
photos) and we need as many opinions as we can get.

I had a contractor do similarly bad work; only he also substituted
cheaper
windows than the contract called for, charged extra when he found he
couldn't cut corners as hoped, decided the plans were silly for requiring
tyvek, etc.
I sued him and recovered about a quarter of the damages; barely enough to
cover the legal fees.
The judge stated that I should not have expected a contractor to do work
properly!

The website might be the better approach.

Are you saying that abusing someone on the internet is a way to get
them to cooperate? That can't be right. Are you saying that abusing
someone on the internet and bashing them with bumper stickers is a way
to get them to want to fix stuff on your house? That can't be right
either. What are you saying?

As far as your own experiences, you learned an expensive lesson. I
had the luxury of working for others as a construction manager in the
early part of my career so my learning wasn't on my dime and I had big
time experience show me the ropes.

I have a clause in my contract that states that the prevailing party
gets court costs and legal fees. The clients' lawyers _love_ that
clause - they figure if I mess up I'm toast. I _love_ that clause
because I don't mess up. Keeps everyone honest. I have lots of other
clauses that protect my interests.

I'm not sure who was responsible for supervising your project, but as
soon as the cheaper windows were delivered to the site they should
have been rejected. The other nonsense was just nonsense, obviously,
and your contractor apparently felt he could do what he liked.
Effective supervision would have eliminated that concept from your
builder's mind. Then the builder would have had the choice to walk
away and get spanked, or stick around and live up to the contract. In
tough situations it may be better to negotiate a settlement so both
parties can part ways more or less amicably - you _definitely_ don't
want a hostile contractor working on your house under duress.

Oh, and as I'm sure you are aware, the judge you mentioned was an
idiot. Judges are not immune from accountability. You should have
filed complaints with the bar association, your congressman, Channel
12 news, etc. NY has this: http://www.scjc.state.ny.us/

The OP is also an idiot. There are really only two flavors. The
first is the type that invests huge amounts of time and effort in
something that doesn't pay to anything else but their ego. It won't
make them whole. Once the project hits the skids you're in damage
control territory. First rule of damage control is to limit the
damage and stop it from growing. Investing time in a losing endeavour
doesn't help. Feeding on the anger and outrage doesn't help. Those
things end up making you and yours miserable. Life's too short for
that.

The second flavor of idiot - and I'm half convinced that the OP is
this type - starts as the first but has a marketing angle. Printing
up bumper stickers, starting up numerous web sites (why would you need
more than one?), etc., points towards someone who with only a little
bit of a push would turn into a spammer. I'm willing to bet dollars
to donuts that the OP starts spamming these newsgroups with his hate
sites and will make money off of Google AdSense, click-throughs or
something like that.