Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default balancing a ceiling fan

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Where do I sign up for the job of marking a rotating helicoptor blade
with a piece of chalk tied to a stick? Maybe I'll just look for the
longest line, cuz that's got to be a d*mn popular job!

You mark -non-rotating- blades ends.

The pilot sarts the rotors turning, stabilizes them at flat pitch,
then a tech or mechanic slowly feeds a special pole with a cloth band on
it, into contact with the tips of the blades.

Have you ever seen those little combination toothpick/dentalfloss
units? Shaped sorta like a letter F, with floss between the tips of the
horizontal bars. Same principle, larger scale. The position of the base
is pre-marked out. Place the butt of the pole on the mark, pivot in
until contact is felt, then out again. Walk clear, read the marks, while
the pilot shuts down, then adjust as required.

Repeat as many times as you have to.

Cheers
Trevor Jones