Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy Asberry Andy Asberry is offline

Default balancing a ceiling fan

On 12 Jul 2007 04:53:43 GMT, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

According to Leo Lichtman :

"SteveB" wrote: (clip)What is the way to balance them? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is a method I used to balance a plain fan, and it ought to work on a
ceiling fan as well. With the fan not running, I held a vibrating engraving

[ ... ]

With a ceiling fan you would have to hold it sideways, but I don't see any
problem with that.

Well ... the older Hunter fans, with the inverted rotor (around
the stator) design have a cup surrounding the shaft which is filled with
a light oil. Turn it on its side, and you pour the oil out -- both
making a nice magnet for dust, and leaving you having to find an
appropriate oil to replace what you poured out. :-)

This describes the fans which I added to the house back around
1978 or so, and I don't think that the current ones have the same
design.

Enjoy,
DoN.

These are REAL fans. I have five that have been in three houses.

Don, how is the speed change effected. Is it simple resistance or
cutting out some of the windings or ?

They never groan on high speed and usually only with a single globe
schoolhouse light. Placing a large rubber band around the globe where
the retaining screws contact will help some.

--Andy Asberry--