Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default balancing a ceiling fan

On Jul 12, 5:47 pm, john wrote:
get a piece of chalk and tie it to a sitck. Move the stick inward to
touch the tip of the blades while the fan is running. The blade that
gets the mark of the chalk is the heavy one. Put the weight on the
opposite side at the tip... thumb tacks and washers put in the top of
the blade are easy to install.

Helicopter blades were done the same way before they came out with
Chadwick balancers.

John

SteveB wrote:
I don't know why, but there have been a rash of ceiling fans introduced into
my universe, and every one is way out of balance.

What is the way to balance them?

Is there a variable strobe that one can get, mark the blades, and find out
which one is the one that makes the biggest circle?

I've sat here till I'm dizzy pondering the bests approach to this.

Steve- Hide quoted text -

-- Helicopter blades were done the same way before they came out with
Chadwick balancers.

Where do I sign up for the job of marking a rotating helicoptor blade
with a piece of chalk tied to a stick? Maybe I'll just look for the
longest line, cuz that's got to be a d*mn popular job!