Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default water kit for refrigerator

Mikepier wrote:

I've never seen a braided hose of any kind used to feed water to a
refrigerator, only in short hookup applications under a sink or toilet.
Refrigerator feed lines are typically at least 6' long, usually a lot
longer to get to the water supply and all the braided hoses I've seen
are less than 2' long. Also lately I've seen a lot of "bogus" braided
hoses that are a plastic hose core as you would expect, but have a
plastic outer braid masquerading as a stainless braid.

Pete C.- Hide quoted text -

Fluidmaster, as well as other companies out there, make them as long
as 10 feet.
http://www.fluidmaster.com/icemaker_connector_intl.html

That's longer than I've seen before, but still too short for any of the
fridge water connections I've had to make. Of course if you run a "real"
water line (i.e. 1/2" copper) to the fridge location and install a
shutoff valve there with an appropriate output connection then you'd
only need a couple feet. The fridge hookup kits normally have like 20'
of tubing, expecting you'll need to fish it some distance before you
reach a water line you can tap.

Pete C.