Posted to alt.home.repair
jJim McLaughlin jJim McLaughlin is offline

Default Roundup For Weeds, Or... ? (what's really safe ?)

Robert11 wrote:

Hi,

Have a gravel layer over the soil in front yard.
Of course, weeds, crabgrass, dandelions, etc, poke their way up thru it,
here and there.

But, also have some real nice trees, bushes, and plantings in it also.

What can I use very safely to spray the weeds, etc.

There is Roundup of course, and all sorts of other products similar to it.

Any recommendations on what might be "totally" safe ?

No chemical product you use is is "totally" safe. Whatever you use,
its an herbiCIDE. Its intended to kill.

If you want to try something involving the least chemcals, use boiling
water on
the weeds. It take s a while, lots of energy o boil if you have a
lot of weeds,
but a pint of rapidly boiling water will kill most non woody weeds.
Its not "totally" safe, you could get a bad blister / burn fro boiling
water.

I like Roundup and Weed B Gone in a good hand spray bottle, mixed to
mfg recommendations, for close in work.

In real tight situations near good plants, I'll use a 50 - 50 mixture of the
product applied directly to the leaves of the weed with a foam paint brush.

IMHO, YMMV, my $ 0.02 only, no warranties, express or implied.

Would like to be able to spray pretty close to the "good stuff" also, if
possible ?

Thanks,
Bob