Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default balancing a ceiling fan

"john" wrote in message
get a piece of chalk and tie it to a sitck. Move the stick inward to touch
the tip of the blades while the fan is running. The blade that gets the
mark of the chalk is the heavy one. Put the weight on the opposite side at
the tip... thumb tacks and washers put in the top of the blade are easy to
install.

You know, great minds think alike. Last night, I lay watching the fan and
pondering the same thing. I came up with paint on a brush, but I like the
chalk idea. The heavy blade will always swing farther out.

Helicopter blades were done the same way before they came out with
Chadwick balancers.

I bet they lost a lot of people before the Chadwick balancers.

Steve